FRI-2580 Safe guiding in the Arctic - 20 stp
- Broad theoretical knowledge of topics related to safe travel and camping in the arctic nature
- The methods and procedures of leading groups safely on glaciers, sea ice and in the Arctic summer and winter terrain.
- Rescue operations on glaciers, sea ice and avalanches.
- Establishing and safely managing a tent camp in summer and winter.
- Establishing a snow bivouac and emergency camp.
- Trip planning and navigating with a map, compass and GPS.
- Have skills in assessing routes, campsites and group organization in a complex arctic nature.
- Be aware of their own limitations and that of the group and plan travel according to ability.
- Be aware of the impact strong winds can have on a camp site and emergency procedures if a tent cannot be used.
The following course requirements must be approved before the candidate may be allowed to take the exam:
- One hundred percent participation in all field trips and courses, including preparation and follow-up work.
- Reports and all forms of follow-up work (eg. Photo and video presentations, group work, etc.) after each trip. Teams decide what type of preparation and work will be carried out in relation to each trip.
- Approved participation on the glacier course and pass the companion rescue and glacier guide test.
- Approved participation on the multiday hiking excursion and pass the trip planning and navigation test.
- Approved participation on the arctic intro winter excursion and pass the GPS navigation and snow bivouac test.
- Approved participation on the avalanche course and pass the test on avalanche awareness and companion rescue.
- Approved participation on the arctic winter skiing excursion
Individual pracitical training with oral examination.
The grade will be given by litters from A - F, A is the best and F is fail.
Date for examinationIndividual pracitical training withoral examination 14.06.2016
The date for the exam can be changed. The final date will be announced in the StudentWeb early in May and early in November.