FSK-8003 Leadership skills - preparing PhD students for taking on leadership tasks - 2 ECTS
The course is open for candidates with a documented admission to a PhD program at all faculties at UiT- The Arctic University of Norway. PhD-candidates from other institutions are also welcome
Course responsible and contact person is Arve Lynghammar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Maximum number of participants: 20.
PhD students register for the course through StudentWeb: Studentweb
External applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb: Søknadsweb
Contact Ingjerd Gauslaa Nilsen (Ingjerd.email@example.com) at the BFE-faculty if you have troubles or questions regarding registration to the course.
This course aims to prepare PhD students to take on leadership tasks once their degrees are completed. This will be achieved through introducing different leadership concepts and raising the PhD students` awareness of the value of leadership and how leadership takes many forms.
The second main objective is to make the PhD students reflect upon their own problem solving style and the associated advantages and disadvantages.
- Be able to describe the contents of different theories on leadership
- Be able to explain the range of leadership skills needed in order to practice good leadership
- Be able to describe different problem-solving styles and their associated benefits and disadvantages
- Use achieved knowledge as analytical tools to formulate, structure and discuss aspects of leadership
- Be able to transfer knowledge of leadership and leadership skills to practical use
- Be able to reflect upon own leadership skills and take steps to further ones development
In order to meet the objectives of the course, each participant will be required to write a short essay. In order to pass the exam, each student will have to provide:
- Pre-course work according to instructions provided once you have been accepted as a participant.
- Participation on all lectures and the seminar.
- Short written essay, the subject of which will be given by the end of the course.
Grading: passed/not passed
- Baack, Jane, Norma Carr-Ruffino, and Monique Pelletier. "Making It to the Top: Specific Leadership Skills: A Comparison of Male and Female Perceptions of Skills Needed by Women and Men Managers." Librarian Career Development2.1 (1994): 16-22.
- Cacioppe, Ron, and Simon Albrecht. "Using 3608 feedback and the integral model to develop leadership and management skills." Leadership & Organization Development Journal 21.8 (2000): 390-404
- Hautala, Tiina M. "The relationship between personality and transformational leadership." Journal of Management Development 25.8 (2006): 777-794.
- Russell, Roy G., and Rhonda Mizrahi. "Development of a situational model for transformational leadership." Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies2.3 (1995): 154-163.
- Shelley, Arthur (2011) "Project-Oriented Leadership", International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, Vol. 4 Iss: 2, pp.355 ¿ 356
Smith, John K., and Joseph Blase. "From empiricism to hermeneutics: Educational leadership as a practical and moral activity." Journal of Educational Administration 29.1 (1991).
- Smothers, Jack, et al. "From the follower¿s viewpoint: a configurational approach to the ideal academic leader." Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies 18.3 (2011): 293-307.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 2
- Course code: FSK-8003
- Responsible unit
- Handelshøgskolen ved UiT