PSY-3000 Research Proseminar - 10 stp
By the end of this course, the student should be able to:
- Write a scientific review paper using the APA standard. This involves:
- Identifying 10-20 key studies done in a certain research area that naturally fit within a single theme (e.g., a current conflict or controversy, or a heretofor unanswered question)
- Using the UiT library resources effectively to find relevant research.
- Critically evaluating and analyzing research , focusing especially on very recent publications that do not appear in previous reviews on the same topic or more classic publications that shed light on new problems in interesting ways
- Interpreting how each line of research supports or fails to support a particular theory, model, or account.
- Drawing well-argued conclusions about the findings and/or methods in order to make interesting suggestions for future research.
- Applying the APA writing standards correctly
- Participate actively and with curiosity in scientific dialog with faculty and peers
- Explain the goals of the master`s program and how it is organized, and act on identifying a final thesis topic and supervisor.
The exam is a 10-page review that can be written in either a Scandinavian language or English. Students choose one of the presented research themes about which they want to write a review paper. Topics must be approved by the faculty member responsible for the course. The exam will be evaluated as pass/fail. In the event that an exam is evaluated as "fail", there will be an opportunity to submit a new or revised exam at the beginning of the next semester.
The exam paper may be written in a Scandinavian language or in English.
Arbeidskrav: Students must attend a minimum of 80% of the lectures in order to be able to turn in an exam.