BED-2032 Corporate Finance - 10 ECTS
Corporate managers must make important decisions to sustain and maximize value of the firm. This course provides the basic tools and frameworks for making these decisions.
The theories and methods developed in this course builds on the basics skills taught in an introductory course in finance, like; BED-2020 Investering og finansiering
Students who have successfully completed the course should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Has comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the tools that are used to value investment projects and companies.
- Has knowledge of the basic issues involved in how firms finance their investment projects and companies, and knowledge of how investment and financing decisions interrelate.
- Has an understanding of financial statements from a financial perspective.
- Can refresh their knowledge, and know the research and development work in the field of corporate finance.
- Can evaluate firm performance using financial statements.
- Can value projects and businesses using relevant financial information.
- Can reflect on whether the firm should return cash to investors or reinvest profits in the enterprise.
- Can determine the appropriate mix of equity and debt to apply to a project or business.
- Should be able to make investing and financing decisions as a corporate manager consistent with the principles of finance using pertinent tools.
The exam consist of two parts:
- The first part is a term paper handed out at the beginning of the semester and handed in at the end (counts for 40% of final grade)
- The second part is a 2 hour digital school exam (counts for 60% of final grade)
The students must use their own laptop on the digital school exam and the term paper.
Both parts of the exam must be approved to receive the final grade.
Letter grade A-F, where F equals fail. Written exam will be arranged in Tromsø.
There will be offered a re-sit exam for students that did not approve the last ordinary exam of this course.
Re-sit, postponed and extraordinary exam will be arranged only at the campus/site where students were registered for class/teaching.
To take the exam students must approve two mandatory assignments. These consists of a 2 hours digital test and an oral presentation of the term paper.
Language of examination is English.