FSK-8003 Leadership skills - preparing PhD students for taking on leadership tasks - 2 ECTS
This course is aimed at PhD students and researchers (including PostDocs) from all scientific disciplines, but is open for applicants holding a Master`s degree. If you aim to include the credits from the course in your 30 mandatory PhD ECTS you should discuss it with both your supervisor and your faculty.
The course has 20 seats. If the number of applicants exceeds the number of places available, applicants will be ranked in this order:
1. PhD students at UiT
2. Participants in the Associate Professor programme at UiT (must hold a Master´s degree)
3. Registered PhD students from other universities
4. Applicants documenting that they have a Norwegian Master´s degree (or equivalent)
The course will be cancelled if less than eight participants.
PhD students at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb. The registration for spring semester starts in the middle of December.
Other applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb. Application code 9305.
Non-UiT PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that they are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you, see the following list: Proficiency in English must be documented - list of countries
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document: Proficiency in english - PhD level studies
Contact Ingjerd Gauslaa Nilsen at the BFE-faculty if you have troubles or questions regarding registration to the course.
- Be able to describe the contents of different theories on leadership
- Be able to explain the range of leadership skills needed in order to practice good leadership
- Be able to describe different problem-solving styles and their associated benefits and disadvantages
- Use achieved knowledge as analytical tools to formulate, structure and discuss aspects of leadership
- Be able to transfer knowledge of leadership and leadership skills to practical use
- Be able to reflect upon own leadership skills and take steps to further ones development
In order to meet the objectives of the course, each participant will be required to write a short essay. In order to pass the exam, each student will have to provide:
- Pre-course work according to instructions provided once you have been accepted as a participant.
- Participation on all lectures and the seminar.
- Short written essay, the subject of which will be given by the end of the course.
Grading: passed/not passed
HOW TO APPLY
PhD students enrolled at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb.
Remember to upload documentation of your education or your status as a PhD student. Applicants who can document their status as a PhD student are exempt to pay the semester fee.