BIO-3003 Fish migration: Theory and technology - 5 ECTS
Admission requires a Bachelor`s degree (180 ECTS) or equivalent qualification, with a major in biology of minimum 80 ECTS.
The course will be arranged with a munimum number of 7 students. Maximum participants: 20.
- Theoretical knowledge in ecological causes and evolutionary consequences of fish migrations, as well as in technologies used to study fish migrations.
- Insights in orientation and navigation mechanisms in fishes
- Understanding in how human impacts may influence fish migrations
- Able to design a telemetry study
- Able to choose the best telemetry method that will meet the aim of the study
- Able to choose the right tagging method for the fish
- Able to catch and handle fish in the best way
- Able to reflect on ethical and animal welfare issues related to telemetry studies
- Able to present and discuss own telemetry studies carried out in the past or potentially be done in the future
- Updated on the status of fish migration and telemetry studies in arctic and sub-arctic areas and other systems