På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
FSK-8002 Communicating Science Module 1: Scientific writing - 3 ECTS
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you see the following list:http://www.nokut.no/Documents/NOKUT/Artikkelbibliotek/Utenlandsk_utdanning/GSUlista/2016/GSU_list_English_14112016.pdfhttp://www.nokut.no/Documents/NOKUT/Artikkelbibliotek/Utenlandsk_utdanning/GSUlista/2016/GSU_list_English_14112016.pdf
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document:https://uit.no/Content/254419/PhD_EnglishProficiency_100913.pdfhttps://uit.no/Content/254419/PhD_EnglishProficiency_100913.pdf
This course is aimed at PhD students and researchers from all scientific disciplines, but is open for others. If you aim to include the credits from the course in your 30 mandatory PhD ECTS you should discuss it with both your supervisor and your faculty.
The course will be cancelled if less than 20 participants.
Through lectures and assignments, the course will give basic skills in writing, reviewing and publishing scientific articles. Some of the practical exercises include text editing, peer-reviewing, assigning authorship and evaluating journals. Prior to the course, you are asked to submit draft of one of your own manuscripts. This manuscript will be the basis for many of the assignments and the groupwork. In the groupwork, ca. four students with similar scientific background will work regularly together on each other´s manuscripts over a whole month, with access to a mentor. Each student´s manuscript will be constructively reviewed by all members of the group. The aim is to significantly improve your own manuscripts.
See updated information at High North Academy
- communicate research in written format (including tables and figures)
- know the structure of a scientific article and the writing process
- know the guidelines and practices behind authorship
- know the peer-review criteria in evaluating manuscripts
- know the publishing process
- prepare and present research results in written format in an understandable way
- learn to give constructive feed-back to your peers on their writing
- refine your scientific English skills
- peer-review of manuscript
- evaluation of potential journals to publish in
- evaluate and edit your own and others scientific text
- reflect on your role as an author in presenting and publishing your scientific work
- understand the relationship between knowledge and communicating knowledge
Lectures, practical exercises, and group work.
- Deadline for pre-work manuscript delivery: early October 2019
- Lectures in mid-October 2019
- Deadline for delivery of revised manuscript (group work): mid-November 2019
- Deadline for delivery of peer-review (exam): end of November 2019
- Group-work schedule decided by the groups themselves (together about 40 hours)
Home exam: peer-review of a manuscript. Evaluation: Pass/Fail
Coursework requirements: Submission of manuscript draft prior to course, Minimum 80% participation on lectures and seminars, active participation in the group work and submission of revised manuscript draft..
Re sit exam: There will not be arranged a re-sit exam.
Date for examinationTake-home assignment hand out date 25.11.2019 hand in date 02.12.2019
The date for the exam can be changed. The final date will be announced in the StudentWeb early in May and early in November.
HOW TO APPLY
PhD students enrolled at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb.
Remember to upload documentation of your education or your status as a PhD student. Applicants who can document their status as a PhD student are exempt to pay the semester fee.