På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
BIO-3018 Environmental Molecular Genetics - 20 ECTS
The number of participants is limited to 10.
Local admission, application code 9371 - - Master`s level singular course. Admission requires a Bachelor`s degree (180 ECTS) or equivalent qualification, with a major in biology of minimum 80 ECTS.
Recommended skills corresponding to courses BIO-2601 General Microbiology (10 stp) BIO-2106 Microscopical imaging techniques (10 stp), BIO-2009 Green Biotechnology and Bioenergy (10 stp).
- Theory of microbial ecology and epigenetics
- Theory of gene and gene expression analyses
- Critical consideration of scientific literature within the topics for the course How to write a laboratory report
- Critical assessment of own results
- Isolation of DNA and RNA from environmental samples
- Preparation of samples for sequencing
- Bioinformatics - analysis of sequencing results, sequence assemblies
- Gene expression (qPCR), methylation status analysis
- Present objectives, methods and results.
- Oral and written discussion of results
- Theory of environmental genetics
- Experimental design
- Molecular laboratory work
- Evaluation of methods
- Discussion of results
- Presentation of results
One report and an oral exam. The final grade for the course is based upon a complete evaluation of the report and the oral exam. The exam will be assessed with a graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail. Students require to attain a pass grade (A to E) in the laboratory report in order to be able to take the oral examination. There will be a re-sit examination for students that did not pass the previous ordinary examination.