INF-3910-3 Computer Science Seminar: IoT services with LoRaWAN network and compatible embedded devices and sensors - 10 stp
Admission requirements: Higher Education Entrance Requirement + Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar education. The Bachelor degree must contain a specialization in Computer Science worth the equivalent of not less than 80 ECTS credits.
Application code: 9371 - Singular courses at master's level
The seminar deals with state-of-the-art research topics in computer science not covered by regular courses. The seminar content is normally linked to ongoing research activities at the research groups. The seminar will normally have a different content each time it is given. A seminar specific content will be made and preapproved by the programme board every time it is given.
The content of this seminar will be:
The course will give a practical introduction to the development of applications and services using LoRaWAN network and compatible embedded devices and sensors.
A general educational aim of the seminar will be to:
- expose students to state-of-the-art research topics in computer science
- help the students to develop essential research and independent learning
- broaden students' understanding of computer science by introducing additional special topics into the curriculum.
A more detailed list of learning outcomes on successful completion of the seminar will be made and preapproved by the programme board every time it is given.
Detailed learning outcomes for this seminar is:
- Students understand the concept of a LoRaWAN network and how it can be used with embedded devices and sensors to provide different kinds of services.
- Students should be able to implement LoRaWAN based communication between embedded devices and a back-end system
- Students should be able to develop IoT (Internet of Things) type of services and applications using a LoRaWAN network
- Students should be able to consider the limitations and advantages of LoRaWAN networks when developing applications and services for it
- Students should be able to develop energy efficient code for LoRaWAN based application and services
- Students should develop a competence for coding embedded systems and low energy communication technology
To be specified according to 10 ECTS and consist of various combinations of lectures, seminars, colloquium and laboratory work. This seminar will consist of:
Most teaching will be in the form of group-specific advise by teaching assistant, faculty member and external collaborators. Lectures: 10 hours, Laboratory: 60 hours. The course is given in the spring semester 2017.
Assessment methods and course requirements will vary from seminar to seminar. For each seminar it will be chosen an assessment method and course requirements that are academically appropriate. Assessment methods and course requirements for this seminar will be:
Portfolio assessment. Written material, oral presentation, demonstration and discussion. Grading scale: Letter grades A-F.
The requirements includes participation on a project throughout the semester.
Re-sit examination: It will not be given a re-sit examination in in this course.
Postponed examination: Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination for the module in question. If practically possible the examination is arranged during the semester as soon as the reasons for absence have ceased.