BIO-3556 Fishery Biology & Harvest Technology - 10 ECTS
Objective of the course
Intended learning outcomes
- Describes international fisheries and value chains
- Explains biology of exploited organisms and the relation to their environment
- Computes different estimates of production potential of fish population
- Illustrates gear and vessel technology used for different species and environments
- Considers fish behavior and gear operation for increased efficiency and catch quality
- Recognizes how to monitor and control different technical regulations in fisheries
- Uses computers for basic calculations and fisheries modeling
- Performs basic fieldwork and sampling in the marine environment
- Rehearses presentation and reporting skills
- Engages in self-study and organization
- Is acquainted with diverse fisheries and aquatic value chains worldwide
- Has familiarity with simple research methods and advice given by fishery scientists
- Has elementary ability to participate in multi-disciplinary teams dealing with natural resources.
For Fisheries biology:
- King, M., Fisheries Biology, Assessment and Management. 2nd ed. 2007, Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing.
- Closs, G., B. Downes and A. Boulton, Freshwater ecology : a scientific introduction. 2004. Blackwell Publ., Malden, Mass.Closs
- Santos, J. 2015. FI¿H IT 1.0 - A training system for aquatic resource managers
- http://septentrio.uit.no/index.php/SapEdu/issue/view/302/showToc (Focus on the exercises from this manual that are used in the data labs.)
- Seminars and hand-outs delivered by students on oceanography, limnology and biology of exploited organisms Preparatory readings in mathematics
For Harvest technology:
- Fish Catching methods of the World. Eds., O Gabriel, K Lange, E Dahm & T Wendt, 2005. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, Chapters: 8,9,13,16, 19,20,25,26,27,29,29,31 and 32.
- Hydro acoustic fish abundance estimation. K Olsen & R Jørgensen, 2006, (2007 modified/translated to English by A Aglen, IMR)
- Manual of methods of measuring the selectivity of towed fishing gears. D Wileman et al, 1996, ICES Coop Res Rep 215.
- By-catch reducing trawls in the North East Atlantic fisheries- the contribution by the University of Tromsø. R Larsen, 2006.
- Manual on writing a cruise report. R. Larsen
- Lecture handouts*). R Larsen