Mohn Prize Seminar 2020: Climate change in the Arctic
Welcome to the open Mohn Prize Seminar 2020: Climate change in the Arctic.
Professor Dorthe Dahl-Jensen is a world leader in the field of cryosphere science awarded the Mohn Prize for her important role in climate change research. At the Mohn Prize Seminar, we will honor Dorthe Dahl-Jensen and learn about climate change and research related to the Arctic.
Seminar live streaming: Mohn Prize Seminar 2020
09:30 – 10:00
- Light refreshments
10:00 – 12:00
- Anne Husebekk, rector, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- Opening of the Mohn Prize Seminar 2020
- Professor Steinar Thorvaldsen, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- "Henrik Mohn (1835-1916) - The founder of Norwegian research in meteorology and physical oceanography"
- Lecture by the laureate Professor Dorthe Dahl-Jensen, Canada Excellence Research Chair, University of Manitoba/Villum Investigator
Physics of Ice, Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen
- “Can abrupt climate changes happen again?”
- Conversation with the laureate
- Professor Matthias Forwick, Department of Geosciences, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- “Long-term environmental changes in the Arctic – insights from geological drill cores”
- Professor Inger Greve Alsos, The Arctic University Museum of Norway, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- “Long-term effect of climate change on arctic vegetation: new knowledge based on ancient DNA”
12:00 – 12:30
Break including lunch
12:30 – 14:15
- Professor Søren Rysgaard, Department of Bioscience - Arctic Research Centre, Aarhus University
- “An updated view on water masses on the pan-West Greenland continental shelf and their link to proglacial fjords”
- Professor David Barber, Canada Research Chair in Arctic System Science, Professor/Associate Dean (research), Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
- “What does Climate change have to do with Sea Ice, Glaciers, Bromine and Freshwater-Marine coupling in the Arctic”
- Professor Rasmus Gjedssø Bertelsen, Barents Chair in Politics, Department of Social Sciences, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- "Science diplomacy and climate change"
- Summary by moderator Professor Jørgen Berge, Vice Dean for Research, Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economics. Chair of the Polar Research Committee, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
The Mohn Prize Seminar is organized by Academia Borealis The Academy of Sciences and Letters of Northern Norway, Tromsø Research Foundation and UiT The Arctic University of Norway.