Appendices to the Application
- Project description
- Milestone schedule/Time schedule for the project
- Written assessment of the projects feasibility within the time frame by the main supervisor
Possible other appendices:
- Approval from REK, NSD or other bodies. A plan for the application process if approval has not yet been given.
- If you plan to use a language other than English in your dissertation, you must enclose an application to do so.
- If you plan to take courses at other universities as part of your training, you must enclose a print-out of the course description (from the website)
The project description has to be written by the following template and be maximum 10 pages long.
The project descriptions shall also comply with section 8 of the Regulation relating to organisation of medical and health research. Research protocol
This implies that the project description shall at a minimum specify:
- project manager
- a scientifically compiled project schedule including specification of the project's scope, basis, methods, substantiation that the chosen study design may provide an answer to the research question and the estimated time frame for the project
- a description of how personal health data will be treated, including from where the health data will be collected and if the data will be transferred or shared with countries outside the EEA
- a description of how human biological material will be collected, and if the material will be transferred to other parties or abroad
- an assessment of ethical challenges related to the research involved in the project, particularly a risk-benefit analysis for participants in the research project
- sources of financing, interested parties and dependencies, including any financial issues that the researchers and the research participants may have related to the research project in question
- a plan for the publication of results, and information on any possible extended use, including commercial use of the research results, data or biological material
If project descriptions from major research applications are enclosed with the application for admission to a PhD programme, the project description must detail what the student is to do in their project.
Milestone Schedule/Time Schedule
Enclosed to the application there has to be a milestone schedule/time schedule of the research project. You'll find a template for the time schedule here:
Milestone schedule for research projects - 3 years (full time)
Milestone schedule for research projects - 4 years (part time)
Milestone schedule for research projects - 6 years (part time)
Written statement form the main supervisor
A written statement from the main supervisor has to be included upon application for admission. It shall contain 1) a written assessment of the projects feasibility within the timeframe, and 2) a confirmation that the project description is quality assured by the supervisory team and is a joint product, as stated in the application.
Individual education plan
The proposed individual education plan must contain all courses you plan to take in Your instruction component. The instruction component shall consist of a total of 30 credits, and contain all of the programme's compulsory courses.
It is redundant to set up a plan for the instruction component that exceeds 30 credits. You can take courses not included in your plan for instruction component if you wish. These courses will however not show on your final diploma.
The compulsory courses in the Faculty of Health Sciences are:
HEL-8010 Research Ethics and Theory of Science (It is recommended that you take this as soon as possible. We will launch a new course in autumn 2019 that will replace HEL-8010. You do not have to include 2 ects in qualitative or quantitative methods in addition if you take this new course)
HEL-8004 Allmennrettet og vitenskapelig forskningskommunikasjon ("General and academic communication of research." It is recommended that you wait to the third semester of the programme to take this course)
2 ects in qualitative or quantitative methods
For more information regarding elements that can be approved in the instruction component see The formal part of the PhD study.
Also remember to include a plan for your project under this section.
Direct any questions regarding your application here firstname.lastname@example.org