Born: 8 July 1959, Sortland in Vesterålen
Adress: Sørliaveien 42, 9018 Tromsø
1985 Master (Cand. Scient.) in Fisheries Biology, University of Bergen, Norway
1986 Research fellow, Institute of Marine Research, (Austevoll) Bergen
1986-1993 Research fellow at University of Tromsø
1994 PhD (Dr. Scient.) in Resource Biology, University of Tromsø, Norway
1994-2009 Associate professor in Fisheries Biology at University of Tromsø
2009- Professor in Fisheries Biology at University of Tromsø
Publications with peer review published after 2005, 57 in total since 1984
57. Pedersen, T, Ramsvatn, S., Nilssen, E. M., Nilsen, M., Morissette, L., Ivarjord, T., Systad, G. H., Kolsum, I., and Fause, H. T., 2016. Species diversity affects ecosystem structure and mass flows in fjords. Regional Studies in Marine Science, 3: 205 - 215.
56. Fuhrmann, M.M., Pedersen, T., Ramasco, V., and Nilssen, E.M., 2015. Macrobenthic biomass and production in a heterogenic subarctic fjord after invasion by the red king crab. Journal of Sea Research, 106: 1-13.
55. Gjøsæter, H., Halfredsson, E., Mikkelsen, N., Bogstad, B., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Predation on early life stages is decisive for year class strength of the Barents Sea capelin (Mallotus villosus) stock. ICES J Mar Sci, doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsv177
54. Fevolden, S.E,Westgaard, J-I., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Extreme male-skewed sex ratios on spawning grounds for Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L) with typical coastal cod signatures of the Pan I (pantophysin) locus. Sexuality and Early Development in Aquatic Organisms, 1: 133-142
53. Thorvaldsen, R., Barrett, R. T., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Black-legged kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) adults and chicks share the same diet in the southern Barents Sea. Marine Ornithology, 43: 95-100.
52. Källgren, E. K., Nilssen, E. M., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Food resource partitioning between three sympatric fish species in Porsangerfjord, Norway. Polar Biology, 38:583-589.
51. Ofstad, L.H., Pedersen, T., and Steingrund, P., 2013. Maturation, reproduction and early life history of anglerfish Lophius piscatorius in Faroese waters. Fróðskaparrit, 60: 114-133.
50. Ofstad, L.H., Angus, C., Pedersen, T., and Steingrund, P., 2013. Age and growth of anglerfish (Lophius piscatorius) in Faroese waters. Fish. Res., 139: 51-60.
49. Mikkelsen, N., and Pedersen, T., 2012.Consumption of lumpsucker eggs by the invasive red king crab and impact on lumpsucker recruitment. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 469: 87-99.
48. Fevolden, S.E., Westgaard, J-I., Pedersen, T., and Præbel, K., 2012. Settling depth vs. genotype and size vs. genotype correlations at the Pan I locus in 0-group Atlantic cod Gadus morhua L.. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 468: 267-278.
47. Ramsvatn, S.,and Pedersen, T., 2012.Ontogenetic niche changes in haddock Melanogrammus aeglefinus reflected by stable isotope signatures, δ13C and δ15N. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 451: 175-185. doi: 10.3354/meps09604
46. Bugge, J., Barrett, R., and Pedersen, T., 2011. Optimal foraging in chick-raising Common Guillemots (Uria aalge). J. Ornithol., 152: 253-259. doi:10.1007/s10336-010-0578-9
45. Barrett, R.T., Bugge, J., and Pedersen, T., 2010. No evidence of sez-specific differences i choice of fish caught for chicks of self-feeding among Common Guillemots Uria aalge. Seabirds, 23:7-13.
44. Pedersen, T., Tande, K.S., and Pope, J.G., 2009. Introduction to the Proceedings of the ECONORTH Symposium on Ecosystem Dynamics in the Norwegian and Barents Sea. Deep-Sea Research Part II, 56: 1893-1894. doi: 10.1016/j.dsr2.2008.11.003
43. Hallfredsson, E., and Pedersen, T. 2009. Effects of predation from juvenile herring (Clupea harengus) on mortality rates of capelin (Mallotus villosus) larvae. Can. J. Fish.Aquat. Sci., 66: 1693-1706. (doi: 10.1139/F09-105.
42. Pedersen, O.P., Tande, K.S., Pedersen, T. and Slagstad, D. 2009. Advection and retention as life trait modulators of capelin larvae – A case study from the Norwegian coast and the Barents Sea. Fish. Res., 97: 234-242.
41. Pedersen, O.P., Pedersen, T., Tande, K.S. and Slagstad, D. 2009. Integrating spatial and temporal mortality from herring on capelin larvae – A study from the Barents Sea. ICES J. mar. Sci., 66: 2183-2194. (doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsp192)
40. Morissette, L., Pedersen, T, and Nilsen, M. 2009. Comparing pristine and depleted ecosystems : the Sørfjord, Norway vs the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada. Effects of intense fisheries on marine ecosystems. Progr. Oceanogr., 81: 174-187.
39.Nilsen, M., Pedersen, T., Nilssen, E.M., and Fredriksen, S. 2008. Trophic studies in a high-latitude fjord ecosystem a comparison of stable isotope analyses (δ13C and δ15N) and trophic level estimates from a mass-balance model. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 65: 2791-2806. (doi: 10.1139/F08-180)
38. Ivarjord, T., Pedersen, T., andMoksness, E., 2008.Effects of growth rates on the otolith incement deposition rate in capelin larvae (Mallotus villosus). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 358: 170-177.
37. Pedersen, T., and Fossheim, M. 2008. Diet of 0-group stages of capelin (Mallotus villosus), herring (Clupea harengus) and cod (Gadus morhua) during spring and summer in the Barents Sea. Mar. Biol. 153:1037-1046. (doi: 10.1007/s00227-007-0875-x).
36. Pedersen, T., Nilsen, M., Nilssen, E.M., Berg, E., and Reigstad, M. 2008. Trophic model of a lightly exploited cod-dominated ecosystem. Ecol. Model., 214: 95-111. (doi: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2007.12.012)
35.Eilertsen, K., Barrett, R.T., and Pedersen, T. 2008. Diet, growth and early survival of Atlantic Puffin (Fratercula arctica) chicks in North Norway. Waterbird, 31: 107-114.
34. Pedersen, T., Cuveliers, and E., Berg, E. 2008. Spatial scales of movement in Northeast Atlantic coastal cod. Rev. Fish. Sci., 16: 371-379. (doi: 10.1080/10641260701678462)
33. Hallfredsson, E., and Pedersen, T., 2007. Effects of predation from pelagic 0-group cod (Gadus morhua) on mortality rates of capelin larvae (Mallotus villosus) in the Barents Sea. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 64: 1710-1722.
32. Hallfredsson, E., Pedersen, T., and Præbel, K. 2007. Estimation of digestion rates herring for (Clupea harengus L.) feeding on fish larvae. J. Fish Biol., 70: 638-643.
31.Nilsen, M., Pedersen, T., and Nilssen, E.M., 2006. Macrobenthic productivity (P/B) and production in a high-latitude ecosystem, North Norway. Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser., 321: 67-77.
30.Godiksen, J., Hallfredsson, E., and Pedersen, T., 2006. Effects of alternative prey on predation intensity from herring (Clupea harengus) and sand eel (Ammodytes marinus) on capelin (Mallotus villosus) larvae in the Barents Sea. J. Fish. Biol., 69: 1807-1823.
29.Sivertsen, S., Pedersen, T., Lindstrøm, U., and Haug, T., 2006. Resource partitioning between cod (Gadus morhua) and minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) in the Barents Sea. Marine Biology Research, 2: 89-99.
Pedersen, T., 1993. Aspects of start-feeding and rearing of cod (Gadus morhua L.) juveniles employed in enhancement studies of coastal cod populations. Dr. scient. thesis, The Norwegian College of Fishery Science, University of Tromsø, Norway, Tromsø. 141 pp.
Referee in journal and symp. proceedings
Aquaculture, Aquatic Living Resources, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, DeepSea Research II, Ecological Modelling, Ecography, Fisheries Research, Fishery Bulletin, ICES Journal of Marine Science, Hydrobiologia, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Journal of Fish Biology, Journal of Sea Research, Sarsia, Marine Biology Research, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Polar Biology, Progress in Oceanography, proceedings from 5 international symposia
Administration and project leadership
1994-1997 Leader of the project “Enhancement of cod stocks in fjords”. The project was a part of the PUSH-program (Program for development and stimulation of stock enhancement). Supported by the Norwegian Department for Fisheries.
1994-1997 Leader for the project ”Effects of predation on recruitment variability in cod stocks” funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
2001-2005 Leader for ”Workpackage 3 ”Predator-prey interactions in the field” within the strategic program BASECOEX (Capelin and Herring in the Barents Sea – Coexistence or Exclusion) supported by the Norwegian Research Council
1995 and 2005-2008 Member of the board at NorwegianCollege for Fishery Research, University of Tromsø
2008-2011 Responsible for Ecopath-modelling on the Strategic Institute Program (EPIGRAPH) run by the Institute of Marine Research, Norway.
2008- 2012 Leader for the project “Investigating coastal ecosystem structure and dynamics using Ecopath/Ecosim ecosystem models and stable isotope data” funded by the Research Council of Norway
Have acted as external supervisor for master students Søren Poulsen (University of Copenhagen, Denmark), Jeroen van der Kooij and Jolanda Luxemburg (University of Groeningen, The Netherlands), Jane Godiksen (University of Århus, Denmark).
1997- Participated and a partner in the international EU-funded project “Placing Fisheries in their Ecosystem Context”, see: http://www.ecopath.org/ .
2004 Convenor for the session “Theme Session DD on Mortality and Linkages between Fish
Eggs/Larvae and their Predators in Marine Ecosystems – A Multidisciplinary Approach“ at the ICES Annual Science Meeting in VigoSpain
2007 Convenor for the ECONORTH (Ecosystem Dynamics in the Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea) Symposium that was held at the NorwegianCollege of Fishery Science, University of Tromsø, Norway, 12.th - 15.th March 2007. Guest Co-editor for symposium proceedings published in Deep Sea Research II, volume 56, issues 21-22.
2015 Organizer of international workshop on “Ecology of northern fjords”, Tromsø 25-27 november 2015
Teaching and evaluation of exams
Has extensive teaching experience on courses in fishery and resource biology since 1993. Responsible for course in ecological modelling in 2006. Have given lectures in courses in general ecological methodology, in resource biology and marine living resources. Have given lecture at international PhD course in “Nursery ground Ecology” in Bergen 2009.
Supervision of master and PhD students
Have supervised 31 master students on their master thesis and are currently supervising two master students.
Have supervised six PhD students; Elvar Hallfredsson (2001-2006), Marianne Nilsen (2003-2007), Lise H. Ofstad (2009-2013), Silje Ramsvatn (2009-2013), Nina Mikkelsen (2004-2013) and Kristin Windsland (2008-2014), which have defended their degree. Are currently supervising PhD students Mona Fuhrman (2010-2016), Helena Michelsen (2013-2017) and Lars Henrik Larsen (2013-2016).
Evaluation commisions for master and PhD degrees
Has been member of 56 committees for evaluation of final master exams (including evaluation of theses) at University of Tromsø, University of Bergen and University of Copenhagen. Has been member of 16 PhD evaluation committees, five as coordinator at University of Tromsø, eight as opponent in committees at University of Bergen, two as opponent at University of Aarhus in Denmark and one in Denmark Technical University, Copenhagen.