REI-3503 Northern Tourists, Northern Hosts: Performances and Experiences - 10 ECTS
- The historical development of the circumpolar north and its significance to circumpolar tourism, tourists and hosts.
- The psychological and demographic dimensions used to differentiate tourists to the circumpolar north from those of other destinations.
- The characteristics of northern hosts and destinations in relation to other geographic destinations.
- Tourism consumption and performance in a northern context.
- Experience production in a northern context.
- Branding, image and discourse in the context of tourism in the circumpolar north.
- Analyse the historical development of the circumpolar north in relation to its significance to circumpolar tourism, tourists and hosts.
- Critically examine tourism consumption and performance through the identification and application of relevant theories and an analysis of applied practices.
- Identify and explain the different aspects of experience production in a northern context.
- Explain the role of branding, image and discourse in relation to tourism in the circumpolar north.
- Critical skills in synthesizing the material read.
- Critically engage in master¿s level online discussions of the thematic aspects of the course (e.g. analysis versus description).
Execute research and writing skills at a master¿s level.