Gender and Arctic Discourses - Internasjonalt symposiumNår: 27.09.2011 09:00 - 29.09.2011 16:30
Hvor: E-0101, Faculty of social sciences and humanities
Welcome to International symposium "Gender and Arctic Discourses", September 27th-29th 2011, at the University of Tromsø.
Place: University of Tromsø, Campus, E- 0101 (at the faculty of social sciences and humanities)
Time: September 27th-29th
This interdisciplinary symposium/PhD course will investigate relations between discourses of gender and discourses of the Arctic.
A main focus of this symposium will be on the intersections between gendered conceptions of the Arctic and the Arctic as a context for gendered performances and projections. In relation to interpretations of the Arctic (in its widest sense, including both subarctic areas and the whole circumpolar North), the symposium will highlight representations of gender and gendered representations of the Arctic and explore how they underpin, complicate or contradict conventional images of the region as primarily masculine and pre-modern.
The symposium will investigate the gendered roles that the North was made to play in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries as well as today, in historical and public discourses as well as in literary accounts. It will contribute to a historisation of contemporary perceptions of the North (Scandinavia and Canada) as a socially progressive area.
The keynote lectures will focus on three dimensions:
- Historical perspectives, emphasising the politics of gender and the Arctic during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Textual/literary perspectives, with an emphasis on the gendering of the Arctic in different genres, both fictional and documentary.
- utural and socio-political perspectives on gender in the modern Arctic
- registration for the conference 16. september 2011
- application to Phd-course 10. august 2011 (for more information about the course click her)
Ansvarlig: Ingrid Hovda Lien