UiT Norges arktiske universitet
Postboks 6050 Langnes
970 422 528
Teacher Training Courses in Higher Education at the University of Tromsø
Professor and head of program
Senior Executive Officer
From January 1th 2008 the Teaching portfolio is an assessment criterion for teaching qualifications for positions at the University of Tromsø. If the candidate can not document higher education teacher training, there will be a deadline for submitting a Teaching Portfolio.
A teaching portfolio is a factual description of teaching strengths and accomplishments. It will include documents and artefacts to demonstrate the scope and quality of the professors achieved teaching skills and progress. As a CV is supported by convincing evidence, the teaching portfolio must be supported by empirical evidence. The teaching portfolio will be assessed by the board of Higher Education Training Courses.
Criteria for approval of the teaching portfolio
- Teaching philosophy: a reflective statement describing personal teaching philosophy, strategies and objectives, methodologies
- Documentation of a basis repertoire for teaching groups of different sizes in different settings
- Argumentation for and use of different types of formative and summative assessment for different purposes
- Demonstration of self and peer assessment through reflection based on observation of teaching and educational theory
- Demonstration of general ethical knowledge and competence as insight in "ethical guidelines for student counselling at the University of Tromsø" and knowledge of student rights
Recommended items for the teaching portfolio
1. An introduction text to guide the reader through the portfolio
2. A text describing personal teaching history
3. Statement of Teaching philosophy
4. Examples of planning and accomplishing teaching and instruction along with self assessment and assessment from peers and students
5. Documentation of development of study programs and courses, assessment and teaching aid as in new technology
6. Documentation of attendance in courses, seminars and so on in higher Education Teacher training
7. A text summing up and reflecting on achievements and results and own goals of progress in the near future
There will be relevant courses each semester. The courses are given in Norwegian. From 2012-2013 you also have to document an in-depth study topic. This might be a project in your own teaching or the four day course Supervision of ph.d-students.
Return to main page