I do research in nuclear fusion. Particularly I am interested in
- Turbulent transport in the edge of magnetically confined plasmas
- Confinement properties of fusion plasmas
- Scientific computing: Numerical methods for PDEs, parallel computing
- Statistical Physics
The topic of my dissertation are investigations of turbulent motions and fluctuation-driven transport in the edge region of magnetically confined plasmas. Since early fusion experiments, one universally observes high fluctuations in the edge region of magnetically confined plasmas. In the outermost region of the confined plasma, the scrape-off layer (SOL), where magnetic field lines intersect material surfaces, these fluctuations are accompanied by large transport events. Progress in experimental techniques and theoretical modeling allowed to link these transport events to the motions of plasma filaments which are elongated along the magnetic field lines and localized in the drift-plane perpendicular to the magnetic field.
The filaments contain excess particle density and heat which is transported outwards towards the vessel walls and material surfaces. This leads to an increased plasma flux to the main chamber wall and poses significant problems to the steady-state operation of fusion plasma experiments, including main chamber recycling, material mitigation and disruptions that lead to a sudden loss of plasma confinement. For a better qualitative understanding of these effects, dynamic properties of isolated plasma filaments are of great interest for the fusion community.
Arbeider i CRIStin
- Kube, Ralph; Garcia, Odd Erik. Effect of dynamical friction on interchange motion of plasma filaments. Physics of Plasmas 2012; Volum 19 (4). ISSN 1070-664X.s 042305 - 042313.s doi: 10.1063/1.4704793.
- Rypdal, Kristoffer; Klumov, B.; Kozelov, Boris; Kube, Ralph; Rypdal, Martin wibe. Exploring the Analogy Between Freezing of a 2D Yukawa Liquid and 2D Decaying Turbulence in Fluids. AIP Conference Proceedings 2011; Volum 1397 (1). ISSN 0094-243X.s 72 - 77.s doi: 10.1063/1.3659743.
- Kube, Ralph; Garcia, Odd Erik. Velocity scaling for filament motion in scrape-off layer plasmas. Physics of Plasmas 2011; Volum 18 (10). ISSN 1070-664X.s doi: 10.1063/1.3647553.
- Kube, Ralph; Garcia, Odd Erik; LaBombard, Brian; Terry, James L.; Zweben, Stewart. Large amplitude blob propagation in the SOL of Alcator C-Mod and comparison to theoretical model. US Transport Taskforce Workshop 2012-04-10 - 2012-04-13 2012.
- Kube, Ralph; Garcia, Odd Erik; LaBombard, Brian; Madsen, Jens; Terry, James L.; Zweben, Stewart. Blob Sizes and Velocities in the Alcator C-Mod Scrape-Off Layer. 20th International Conference on Plasma Surface Interactions 2012 2012-05-21 - 2012-05-25 2012.
- Kube, Ralph. Fysikk i Fokus, nordlys og partikkelfysikk. Fysikk i fokus 2011-03-02 - 2011.
- Kube, Ralph; Garcia, Odd Erik. Blob velocity scaling in SOL plasmas. 2nd ESEL Workshop 2011-05-22 - 2011-05-27 2011.
- Bjerga, Gro Elin Kjæreng; Avendaño, A; Figenschou, A.; Kube, Ralph; Schott, Tino. The Cold Rush. 2011.
- Kube, Ralph; Garcia, Odd Erik. Filament velocity scaling in SOL plasmas. 52nd anual DPP meeting of the American Physical Society 2010-11-08 - 2010-11-12 2010.
- Kube, Ralph. Radial filament motion in toroidally confined plasmas. Birkeland Workshop 2010-05-29 - 2010-06-01 2010.