Academic Writing Workshop with focus on English usage
Beklager, påmeldingsfristen har gått ut
This is a two-day workshop in academic writing designed for those taking the Assistant Professor Programme (Førstelektorprogrammet) at UiT. It will be relevant for all disciplines and judging from past evaluations it will be useful for both international and Norwegian staff. The workshop also includes microteaching exercises, peer evaluation and individual discussion of edited texts submitted by participants before the course. The workshop will be in English. Lunch is included.
The course supervisor is Stewart Clark, Senior Adviser and Assistant Professor at NTNU.
- Characteristics of academic writing
- Editing and readability
- Avoiding typical errors
- Stylistic issues
- Varieties of English
- Structure and format of academic work
- Web resources and support
- Microteaching exercises
- Solving typical grammatical problems
- Individual discussion based on submitted texts
The workshop will help participants to write and publish documents in academic English. Participants will be more confident teaching their subject in English and when supervising international students.
- Prepare a 3-minute presentation in English from your subject area.
- Email a 3-4 page text in English that you have written. Deadline: 3 October 2012. Use the subject line ‘UiT_academic writing_Oct2012’. Address: email@example.com. These will be edited and only used for individual discussion during the workshop
- Participants should bring their laptop, iPad or similar
’Words - A User's Guide’,Stewart Clark andGraham Pointon, Longman 2009, available at the bookshop on the UiT campus (Akademisk kvarter)
A course compendium (will be printed and handed out to you at the beginning of the course)
Places on the course will be allocated in the following order of priority:
- Lecturers at UiT with a place on the Assistant Professor Programme (Førstelektorprogrammet).
- Other lecturers at UiT aiming for promotion for assistant professor/senior lecturer
- Lecurers at university colleges in the region (HIF, HIH, HiN, HiNe and UiN) aiming for promotion to assistant professor/senior lecturer.
Potential participants from regional university colleges may attend for a fee NOK 3000. If you would like to attend, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with contact information and invoice address. Registration is binding.